Friday, April 20, 2018
Creekside Education Center, Learning Center Room 1
This training is to build skills of counselors working with adolescents. BI is a short-term counseling intervention that consists of 2 to 4 sessions aimed at adolescents who use alcohol and/or other drugs. This approach uses motivational interviewing, cognitive behavior therapy and the stages of change model to meet the needs of adolescents.
- Examining the counselor’s attitudes and relationship with teens
- Learning to teach adolescents how to take a more active and reflective role in decisions about their own behavior.
- Identifying strategies that would support an adolescent driven plan to make decisions they see as beneficial
- Increasing knowledge about drug and alcohol use among teens
- Utilizing Motivation Interviewing to empower rather than enforce
School Administrators, Educators, Staff, Counselors and Nurses