Wednesday, November 20, 20199:00am - 3:30pm, Registration begins at 8:30am
Plumas-Sierra Fairgrounds (Mineral Building)
You are invited to attend the Community Prevention Initiative (CPI) Professional Competency No-Cost Training titled Brief Intervention for Substance Using Adolescents.
BI is a short-term counseling intervention that consists of two-four sessions aimed at adolescents who use alcohol and/or other drugs. This approach uses motivational interviewing, cognitive behavior therapy and the stages of change model to meet the needs of adolescents. This training is appropriate for school counselors and staff working in drug prevention, treatment, mental health, probation, juvenile justice, or other youth-serving professionals.
- Examining the counselor’s attitudes and relationship with teens.
- Learning to teach adolescents how to take a more active and reflective role in decisions about their own behavior.
- Identifying strategies that would support an adolescent driven plan to make decisions they see as beneficial.
- Increasing knowledge about drug and alcohol use among teens.
- Utilizing Motivation Interviewing to empower rather than enforce.