Welcome to the Strategic Training and Education for Prevention Planning (STEPP) webpage. In 2015 the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS), in collaboration with CPI, established the Strategic Training and Education for Prevention Planning (STEPP) to provide a compilation of technical assistance services specifically designed to support counties and agencies with development of strategic prevention plans.
STEPP provides coordinated, comprehensive technical assistance to counties with Strategic Prevention Plans (SPPs) due each year. TTA provided focuses on the Strategic Prevention Framework (SPF) as the guiding framework from which to plan local prevention activities.
This webpage serves as a repository of resources that can be used by counties in preparation for, or as they develop their strategic prevention plan.
Download STEPP Project Welcome Brochure
[PDF 365 KB]
To provide guidance to counties writing their plans, DHCS created the Strategic Prevention Plan (SPP) Workbook [PDF 647 KB]. The Workbook is a step-by-step guide containing definitions, resources, and activities for each step of the SPF.
Internal and external resources are categorized by each step of the SPF identified below.
- Focus Groups: Helpful Tools for Strategic Prevention Planning [PDF 705 KB]
- SPF Tip Sheet: Conducting a Needs Assessment [PDF 856 KB]
- SPF Tip Sheet: Determining Prevention Priorities and Problem Statements [PDF 526 KB]
- Survey Data Sources for Substance Abuse Prevention: A Review and Summary [PDF 506 KB]
- People Power: Mobilizing Communities for Policy Change [PDF 626 KB]
- Preventing Drug Use among Children and Adolescents: A Research-Based Guide for Parents, Educators, and Community Leaders [PDF 725 KB]
- Prevention Tactic: Cross-Sector Collaboration [PDF 1 MB]
- Social Determinants of Health A Common Language for Collaborating Across Sectors [PDF 1 MB]
- Selecting and Implementing Evidence-Based Prevention Through the Strategic Prevention Framework (SPF) Planning Process [PDF 391 KB]
- SPF Tip Sheet: Developing Measurable Goals and Objectives [PDF 731 KB]
- Using Data to Establish Need: Applying the Strategic Prevention Framework (SPF) Planning Process [PDF 581 KB]
- The Coalition Impact: Environmental Prevention Strategies [PDF 868 KB]
- Prevention Tactic: Culturally Responsive Environmental Prevention [PDF 1.5 MB]
- Policy Strategies to Reduce Underage and Binge Drinking [PDF 509 KB]
- National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP) [XLSX 118 KB]
Interested in learning more about STEPP? Contact CPI Project Director, Erika Green